For Vessel owners, whose crewmembers are employed on Maltese flagged vessels and who are eligible to pay social security contributions in Malta, will benefit from the following:
- The rate of social security contributions is highly competitive compared to other equivalent options;
- The cost of running the structure is very competitive
- Crewmembers will be from with a letter from by the Maltese authorities which is equivalent to the social security card;
- Persons insured in Malta may benefit from a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC);
- Persons insured in Malta may benefit from an S1 form if they reside in
a Member State other than Malta.
- Seafarers can also obtain the U1 form to claim unemployment benefits in their country of residence;
- Regarding the retirement pension aspect, contributions paid in any Member State will be taken into account in the Member State & residence upon retirement. This applies anywhere in the EU, EEA, and Switzerland; a person who has contributed for more than one year in two or more of the above-mentioned states will be paid a pension proportional to the periods in these states.